Monday, November 20, 2023

Bright Spots Holiday Edition Day One

I want to begin by thanking everyone for their Bright Spot nominations all year. It's really impactful to take a minute and send a word of praise to someone you work with and let them know that what they do matters to you and to the people we serve. So this week we have a very special Thanksgiving edition. I hope you see your name here, either as the person sending praise or receiving recognition. We All contribute to the success of KPL and to the success of our community and all of you matter! 

From Elliott:
"Hi friends,
I just want to shout out any YFS rockstars at NS who have been helping Maria Maravilla out. She came in today and mentioned that while she didn't recognize me (understandable as I am only here once a month), many YFS folks here had been helping her find books. English is her second language, and children's materials have been very helpful for her in learning the language and to read English. She particularly likes true stories, and said she had been learning so much from the books we had been giving her. She typically asks for 12-15 books at a time and she was so excited to share some of the cool things she had been learning.
Maria was really excited to learn about historical figures and major events that she didn't know about. She said getting these books was great to help her work on her English, but also was like getting to go to school and learn. I speedran getting her a selection today because she only had about 5 minutes before she needed to leave for church, but she was very excited to read about the people and events I grabbed for her.
Maria was just so beyond grateful for all the help we provide. It was a really positive interaction and I want to shout out the amazing work everyone has been doing to go above and beyond with readers' advisory for this patron. Way to go the extra mile to improve ESL literacy and incorporate some major general education along with it!
I love that I work with such major rockstars!"

Also from Elliott:
"I want to shout out Zander and Karen, who made sure we had a plan in place for a 12 year old at SW at closing on Friday. I was in the teen space making sure the other four teens had rides arranged or had plans otherwise on places to go. Zander let me know that there was a 12 year old teen who might not have a ride by 6:15. He had already arranged with Karen to make sure at least two of us could stay until the teen was picked up. I also volunteered to stay (Karen and I worked Saturday and could flex a few minutes if needed), and sat with the teen until their ride got here - which was thankfully before 6:15. I am so glad that we had a quick plan in place already by the time I met the teen, and that we were all so willing to make sure they got home safe. Grateful to have such a flexible and compassionate set of coworkers looking out for our young friends!"

From Tessa:
"I'm so thankful to have Jennifer as our NS branch manager. Her leadership manifests itself in many ways, including Northside's supremely executed responsive displays to timely events or further marketing library resources/new formats people may be unaware of. I so greatly appreciate her efforts for clear communication to her staff, both in email and face-to-face. She really has a knack for looking at the big picture while simultaneously focusing on the small details that create a big service impact to our patrons and for KPL (especially NS) staff. Yay Jennifer!
I must also acknowledge "the Wolf to my Fox" - Shawn amazes me with her creativity and early education expertise on a daily basis. Her background in child development and early education is such a valuable resource to the families we serve. Youth & Family Services would be lacking such an important star without Shawn's hard (and fun) work ethic!"

From Claudia:
"I actually love working with all the SI/UP staff. They all are helpful to our patrons and go the extra mile. Kahlil is a great boss too! He cares about the patron's and us."

No comments:

Post a Comment

KPL STAFF BLOG FINAL EDITION

Thanks to Jason Rimkus for taking four hours of Opening Day footage and crafting a lovely 10 minute video. Bravo! This week's Bright S...