Friday, November 12, 2021

Draft of the Northside Space Plan and other news...

 

Last month David Vinjamuri from ThirdWay Brand Trainers visited Northside and Southwest and studied our floor plans. He made suggestions as to how we can better utilize the spaces we currently have to accommodate how the public is expected to use our spaces in the future and how how we can create a more interesting and dynamic series of displays to entice people to check out more library materials. David has finished the Northside plan, and I'm sharing the plan with you here to see what you think, both as a staff member, and as a member of the public. Can you see yourself using this space as a patron? What do you think works? What do you think doesn't?
David's reports are based on objective observation. He doesn't know how much money we have to spend or who comes through our doors. But he does know what works in other libraries, and there have been libraries that doubled their circulation by adopting David's suggestions. David will present his reports for both locations to the Library Board in December. I invite you to take some time and look through his recommendations. Let me know if you have some opinions to share. We expect the Southwest report to arrive on November 19th.

Thanks to all of you who met with Michelle these past few weeks to recommit to our Civility Agreement and to share your views on what's working well and what isn't. Michelle has provided me with a comprehensive report that I'll be studying with an aim to solve any problems you've identified. 

Happy Birthday to Linda, November 16th!

I'll present our 2022 budget request to the Common Council Finance Committee on Wednesday evening, November 17th. The Committee of the Whole will vote on our budget 12/1 and 12/2.

This week's Bright Spot comes from Michelle:
I nominate Donna Hermann at Northside Library for a Bright Spot.  While at Northside, I needed to quickly access and print a document from my Google account.  Upon my request for information, Donna immediately directed me to a computer that I could use that had the ability to print and then led me to the machine where that document would print. She was gracious and accommodating and I greatly appreciate her support!

With Thanksgiving on the horizon, I'll be putting together a special Bright Spot blog post specifically to thank staff. Please send me your nominations for this post. Which of your coworkers are you thankful for every day? Who makes you glad to come to work, who is always available to help, who always greets you with a smile when you walk into a room? Let me know and I'll make sure that person is recognized as someone you're thankful for. Or if you prefer, we'll have thank you cards sitting around the branches so you can write a personal note to someone who brightens your workday. 

Enjoy the beautiful change of season, everyone!
Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment

KPL STAFF BLOG FINAL EDITION

Thanks to Jason Rimkus for taking four hours of Opening Day footage and crafting a lovely 10 minute video. Bravo! This week's Bright S...