Thursday, March 27, 2014

Join the UX Team!

What's UX?
User Experience.
It's the most important thing we do. And if we want to be great, we need to keep a sharp eye on just what kind of user experience we're offering to every person who walks through our doors.
That's why I'm calling for volunteers to join the KPL UX Team to advise me about signage, collections, displays, technology, policies, procedures, spaces, programs, website, anything and everything that touches our customers. I want this team to see the library through the eyes of every customer, as well as different types of customers. If you are 94, have problems with your vision and are using a walker, can you easily use the library? If you're in a hurry to get home and put supper on the table, can you find something really interesting in 5 minutes to take home with you? Can you learn what you need to know at the time of day that fits your schedule? Do working parents find our children's programs convenient? If I remember the book I want to place on hold just as I'm leaving, can the last staff person I see on the way to the door put that on hold for me? Can I pick up my own hold, check it out, and exit without talking to anyone if I feel grumpy? Can I pay my fine without having to confess to the person across the desk that I returned things late? Can I use my debit card?  Is it okay to have to get out of your car to return books to a drive-up book drop? (I think I know the answer to that one!)

Who should join the UX Team: Anyone passionate about delivering an incredible library experience.
Team Size: 10
Time commitment: 2 hours per month minimum, 6 month commitment. We'll change the group makeup every 6 months to keep the energy high and the ideas fresh.
Team Leader: Me (at first, to ensure quick response to suggestions. Later we may elect someone new to chair the group.)
Paid time: yes
Energy level: High! We'll be working fast and furious to make quick, noticeable changes that delight our users!
First meeting: Monday, April 7, 2014 10am at Civic Center

If you believe you can work together with your colleagues using our shared values of  Respect and Teamwork to create an Innovative, Compassionate experience for our Community, then I invite you to step forward. Talk with your supervisor and tell them how passionate you are about joining this team, then ask their permission to make this 6 month commitment. I'll choose the first team of ten.
Thanks! And thanks for all you do every day to provide the best library service possible.
Barb




No comments:

Post a Comment

KPL STAFF BLOG FINAL EDITION

Thanks to Jason Rimkus for taking four hours of Opening Day footage and crafting a lovely 10 minute video. Bravo! This week's Bright S...