Monday, April 27, 2015

Continuous Innovation and Transformation

This morning's keynote address is by Steve Denning, who writes books like The Leader's Guide to Storytelling. He's talking about the Creative Economy. Here he is presenting a TED Talk  on leadership.
Steve is talking about how libraries can support a creative economy, so naturally he's talking about makerspaces and shared information creation, but I think the need goes deeper. How many adults do you know that believe in their creative abilities? I think a huge role for the public library is to engage adults in activities the same way we do with children. Let them explore their creative side in a safe place where they can't fail. That's a very different space than most people experience at work or at home. Adults are always trying to please someone and fit in. Then there are the left brained people like myself. I was always very good at math and science, so I assumed I couldn't be creative, too. It was only later in life that I gained the confidence to not place myself in any category- I could be both analytical and creative. And that combination in a world where scientific and computer innovation are so impactful, is just the right mix we need.
I hope all of you believe in your creative abilities. We need all of you to contribute your genius to this extraordinarily important work we do. Add the understanding that failing is okay if your intentions are good. That's the mind of an innovator. That's the foundation of the innovative organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KPL STAFF BLOG FINAL EDITION

Thanks to Jason Rimkus for taking four hours of Opening Day footage and crafting a lovely 10 minute video. Bravo! This week's Bright S...