Monday, January 26, 2015

Thanks from Lisa Rivers

Hi Barb!

I just got finished reading a personal e-mail I got from Donna Holmen tonight telling me that she had shared with you her thoughts about the Frozen Party, and that you were going to post something about it.  

I just wanted to share my thoughts about the event as well, because in my opinion it was one of most memorable library programs I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of.  This truly was a collaborative effort on every level, and in my wildest dreams having been involved with popular programs like the Polar Express, American Girl, Sponge Bob, Star Wars, Thomas the Tank Engine, and the Big Read, never ever did I ever think that we would get the response that we did for the Frozen Party and sing-a-long. 

The collaboration started at our Youth Services staff meeting over 6 months ago, and not only was everyone in Youth Services excited, but Jill Miatech from adult services decided to work with us and said, let's do a sing-a-long too! Then we got Culver's to donate custard for the event which was served after the sing along, and a friend of mine from Barnes and Noble to share some of her games she had at her Frozen Party, not to mention our Youth Services volunteers Cassandra, and Vanessa who cut crowns, antlers, and put together other items for the crafts we had.  There was Corey the all day volunteer,  who told his mom I hope " I hope I'm not going to be bored today". Let me tell you he was not at all bored that day, and was put to work from the minute he got there. He did everything that was asked of him from putting signs up, to setting up and moving  tables, to clean up. He was fantastic!

Donna Holmen also asked her daughter Ariel to come with her to work at the last minute, because I had called her before her shift to tell her we were running out of toilet paper rolls,and I knew she had some stashed away at her house that we could use for our Olaf snowman craft. Ariel also helped with clean up, and directed patrons in the lobby for the sing-along event. Her help was also very much appreciated, and invaluable.  Not  to mention Pam Penza, who just came in to see and sing at the sing-a-long, who then ended up stamping hands of patrons, when we found out we were going to exceed room capacity, and so we came up with a plan to add another sing- a-long session at the last minute so that we did not turn patrons away. Oh, and did I mention she also was cutting, and replenishing craft materials as well?   

In the end it was a successful day on every level, even with the few glitches that came our way.  It wouldn't have been as successful without all their help, so THANKS EVERYONE!   They say the difference between success and failure is a great team. Working alongside Donna, Jill, along with the help of our volunteers,and donations from members in our community, I do believe that we created a fun and memorable experience for our patrons.  

Lisa Rivers

No comments:

Post a Comment

KPL STAFF BLOG FINAL EDITION

Thanks to Jason Rimkus for taking four hours of Opening Day footage and crafting a lovely 10 minute video. Bravo! This week's Bright S...