Monday, June 30, 2014

A Sense of Pride

Hello, Everyone
Laura and I were working on gardens Sunday and it occurred to me that there is a deep sense of pride among many staff in the appearance of our buildings. At the same time, there is a certain reluctance on the part of some staff to overstep what they see as clear lines of responsibilities among job descriptions. So, I thought I'd talk to you today about my philosophy that "it takes a village" to keep our grounds and buildings looking their best and in the end, to deliver a great customer experience. I learned very early on in my career that being professional meant contributing to the organization in every way you can, whether the task is included in your list of official responsibilities or not. So no matter where I've worked, I pick up trash I see on the floor or in the parking lot, I pull a weed when I see one poking out in the garden, or I ask visitors who look lost if there is a way I can help. I expect the same from every one of you. It doesn't take ten minutes or a detailed plan to bend over when you see a piece of paper on the floor. Maybe your job isn't to answer questions, but you surely know where those staff members are who do answer questions and any of you can guide a lost patron in the right direction. There's nothing more delightful than visiting a company or business where the pride of the workforce shows through, and there's nothing better than helpful, friendly staff. Let's all pitch in to make our visitors' library experiences they best they can possibly be.
Thanks!
Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment

KPL STAFF BLOG FINAL EDITION

Thanks to Jason Rimkus for taking four hours of Opening Day footage and crafting a lovely 10 minute video. Bravo! This week's Bright S...